In India, females are very talented. In today’s era, female are showing their talent in each and every field. They are no less than men. We have a very big brigade of female movie directors of India, who have proved their selves with their movies.
Here are the most famous and talented Female Movie Directors of India, who have given Bollywood movies:
1. APARNA SEN
Born on 25th October 1945, in Bengali family in Chittagong District. Aparna’s father was the veteran critic and filmmaker Chidananda Dasgupta and her mother Supriya Dasgupta was a costume designer. Aparna spent her childhood in Hazaribagh and Kolkatta, and had done her schooling from there. She studied B.A. in English, but didn’t complete her degree.
She got married three times, but get divorced from first two. She is presently married to Kalyan Ray, who is an author and professor of English, in New Jersey. They have two daughter: Kamalini and Konkona (Bollywood actress).
Aparna before staring her career as filmmaker, was a actress. She made her debut in many movies. She starting debuting at an very early age of 15 years. Her debuted movies are:
• Teen Kanya(1961)
• Aparichito (1969)
• Aranyer Din Ratri (1970)
• Ekoni (1971)
• Sujata (1974)
• Jana Aranya (1976)
• Asamaya (1976)
• Indira( 1983)
In addition to acting in films, Aparna started directing films since 1981, staring with Chowringhee Lane, this movies was about an aged Anglo-Indian teacher. Aparna won Best Director Award for this movie. After this, Aparna directed many award winning films like Paroma (1984), Yugany (1995), Paromitar Ek Din (2000). Her daughter Konkona Sen Sharma acted in her film Mr. and Mrs. Iyer (2002), this was a love story set against harsh Hindu-Muslim sectarian violence in India. Both mother and daughter won a National Film Award for this movie for Best Film Director and Best Acting respectively. The film win more awards at Locarno, Hawaii and Manila film festival.
• Padma Shri Award in 1987
• 1981, National Film Award for best Director
• 1981 and 1985, National film Award for Best Feature Film in Bengali for Paroma and Yugant, respectively.
• 2000, National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Bengali, for Paromitra Ek Din.
• National Film Award for Best Direction for Mr. and Mrs. Iyer, 2002
• 2002 Nargis Dutt Award for Best Feature Film
• 2002, National Film Award for Best Screenplay, for Mr. and Mrs. Iyer
• 2005, National Film Award for Best feature Film in English for 15 Park Avenue.
2. MEGHNA GULZAR
Born on 13th December 1973, in Maharashtra, Meghna is an Indian writer and producer. She is the daughter of lyricist and poet Gulzar and former actress Rakhee.
In 1995, Meghan completed a short course in filmmaking from the TISCH School of Arts, New York University. She began her career as a freelancer writer. Later, she assist her father on his films like Machis, Hu Tu Tu.
Meghna directed her first movie, Filhaal (2002), which did not achieve success. After a gap of 8 years, she come with movie Talvar (2015). Then she gives so many hit movies under her direction like Raazi (2018). Recently she make a biographical drama movie Chhapaak (2020)
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
• In 2015, Nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Director for Talvar.
• In 2018, She get Filmfare Award for Best Director (Raazi)
• In 2018, Filmfare Award for Best Film ( Raazi)
3. ZOYA AKHTAR
Born on 14th October 1972, Zoya is an Indian film director and screenwriter. She is the daughter of famous lyricist and screenwriter Javed Akhtar and her younger brother is Farhan Akhtar, who is an actor and director.
She join the New York University TISCH School to learn film production.
She started directing movie in 2009, by the movie Luck by Chance, then she stared directing movies. Here top movies are: Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2013), Bombay Talkies (2013), with team of Anurag Khasyap, Dibakar Banerjee and Karan Johar. After this, she directed Dil Dhadaknee Do (2015), which was a hit film based on a Punjabi Family. Next, she directed Gully boy, which actor Ranvir Singh and Alia Bhatt.
• 2009, Filmfare Award for Best Debut Director for film Luck By chance
• 2011, for Zindagi Ma Milegi Dobara, she won Filmfare Award for Best Director, IIFA Award for Best Director, Zee
Cine Award for Best Director, Apsara Award for Best Director.
• In 2019, She won Filmfare Award for Best Director and Screen Award for Best Director for film Gully boy.
She recently directed a segment of Ghost series, an Anthology short film for Netflix. The series has four segments, first is directed by Zoya, other segments are directed by Anurag Kashyap, Dibakar Banerjee and Karan Johar.
4. FARAH KHAN
Born on 9th January 1965, Farhan’s father Kamran Khan is a stuntman turned filmmaker and her mother, Menaka Irani, is a sister of Honey Irani and Daisy Irani. She is the sister of Sajid Khan, who is comedian, actor and film director.
Farah is married to Shirish Kunder, on 9th December 2004. She gave birth to triplets in 2007, one son and two daughters.Farah is an Indian film director, film producer, actress, dancer and choreographer. She has won so many awards for her choreography as well as a director.
She has directed a numerous number of films like: Main Hoon na(2004), Om Shanti Om (2007), Tees maar Khan (2010), Happy New Year (2014).
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
• Nominated for Filmfare Best Director Award for Main Hoon Na
• Filmfare Award for Best Choreography for song Chaiyya Chaiyya in 1998.
• In 1999, Filmfare Award for Best Choreography for the song Ek Pal Ka Jeena
• In 2003, for song Idhar Chala Main Udhar Chala, she won Filmfare Award for Best Choreography and National Film
Award for Best Choreography